Monday, February 21, 2011

Lessons From David on Leadership

I have been working through 1 Chronicles lately, which at times is not exactly an exciting read. However, today I was completely blown away by David's words of wisdom to Solomon as he was preparing to "pass the torch."

“And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought." 28:9

At first, this seems rather obvious and unassuming. However, I considered David's past, which we had just recently looked at in my own leadership class in an article called "The Bathsheba Syndrome" or something like that. We were asking the question "Can somebody who was at the top, who seemed to be moral, ever be trusted once they've fallen hard?" I know that David's regime unraveled after his adultery with Bathsheba, the lies and cover up, and ultimately the murder of Uriah.

Clearly, though, from this passage, I would say that David had indeed learned much over his life. Later on, in the next chapter, David is praying about the immense offering brought in by the heads of Israel for Solomon's construction of the temple. He says in 29:17, "I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity."

So, what is important in leadership? Motivation. Integrity. The state of the heart. We can fool men, sure. But not God. Before Him, we're naked. He tests the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment