Sunday, October 10, 2010

Living the Rhetoric

In my senior seminar class last week, my professor was talking about his time in the army. At one point, he mentioned that he had indeed encountered people who were "living the rhetoric" of all that the armed forces stands for.

It inspired me. I think I may be beginning to understand what living out the rhetoric looks like in my own life. For example, I claim to value servant leadership. A nice, rhetorical phrase to use there, huh? I bet you've heard it from a variety of sources. Well, over this semester, I have learned that I can't claim to be something until it's been tested. I can't claim to be servant leader if what I do is dependent upon my own wishes and schedule (that seems to be like a master rather than a servant). If it really isn't about myself, then I have to pour out into others at my own expense.

I noticed myself saying in my head just last week (while thinking about post-graduation life), "I'm afraid to give my life to the world." That struck me as being very profound, especially considering Jesus. He gave up his life for the world (by world, meaning the people of it). I know that in order for me to consider myself a follower of the example set by Jesus, then I need to do the same as he did. Scary business.

This leaks over into other areas. If I consider myself to be generous, but yet don't spend anything (money, time, whatever resource comes to mind) on other people, what does that mean? If I consider myself loving, but yet do not love the unlovable, what does that mean?

Are Christians more in love with rhetoric than they are with Jesus? I am realizing in my own life at a heart level that saying and doing are two different things. Perhaps I am making an unfair generalization, and if you do not fall into this trap, then forgive me and let's move on.

However, if I have offended you, why is that?
Is it possible that truth can be offensive?


No comments:

Post a Comment